Nature and Scope of Work
This is child care work in the North Shore Neighbourhood House Child Care Program working with children aged five to twelve or with teens aged 13 to 19, including those with extra needs, in an Out-of-School program.The work involves the planning, organization and implementation, in conjunction with the other staff, of developmentally appropriate activities to meet the needs of school aged children or teens in an out of school setting. The work involves the planning and carrying out of activities to promote the social and personal development of special needs children and/or teens. An incumbent works under the general direction and supervision of the Supervisor.
Examples of Work
- Plans, organizes, and implements activities appropriate for school aged children and/or teens.
- Conducts activities with children and/or teens maintaining and establishing a climate through which each child can find security and be enabled to take part in and enjoy the program.
- Maintains a balance between an individual child’s/teen’s needs and the needs of the group providing support and reinforcement in the development of physical, cognitive,emotional and social skills.
- Escorts children to and from classrooms ensuring all children are checked into the program or their whereabouts are known.
- Ensures the program facilities are safe and clean; all equipment is in good order and reports repairs needed to the Supervisor.
Required Knowledge, Abilities & Skills
- Sound knowledge of the care and guidance needed to promote social and personal development of school age children or teens, including those with extra needs.
- Sound knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and rules governing the work performed.
- Ability to plan and effectively carry out activities to promote social and personal development in children and/or teens
- Ability to exercise patience and consistency in guidance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with families, children, staff, and, where appropriate, community resources.
Desirable Training and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12
- Emergency First Aid childcare Certificate
- Responsible Adult certificate or 20 hours of childcare related workshops
- $20.36 per hour for permanent part-time position
- Medical, dental, extended health and a pension plan
- Paid vacation (20 days within first 12 months)
- Paid sick time, paid family emergency and more
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Casual dress
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- 20 hours per week, with up to 35 hours per week on school holidays and professional days
225 East 2nd Street
North Vancouver, BC V7L 1C4
or via email: email@example.com